Investigating Linguistic and Textual Features of English Haiku Written by Japanese EFL Students
(Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists B: 2015-19)
Detailed Report: https://kaken.nii.ac.jp/grant/KAKENHI-PROJECT-15K16789/
本研究は，日本人英語学習者が俳句を使ってどのように自己表現力を育成できるかを検証し，日本人に最適な英語ライティング指導法を提案することを目的に実施された．本研究では，(1) 日本人大学生が作成した英語俳句の言語学的特徴と感情表現のパターン，(2) 俳句ライティングの可能性と限界，(3) 学習者の俳句作成活動に関する見解に焦点を当て，俳句学習の教育的効果を質的・量的データを用いて多角的に検証した．
The aims of this project are three-fold:
- To (re)define haiku writing
- Identity textual and literal features of haiku poetry written by L2 learners
- To design L2 haiku writing pedagogy
- Iida, A. (in press for 2019). Haiku and spoken language: Corpus-driven analyses of linguistic features in English-language haiku writing. In C. Jones, (Ed.), Literature spoken language and speaking skills. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Iida, A. (2017). Expressing study abroad experiences in second language haiku writing: Theoretical and practical implications for teaching haiku composition in Asian EFL classrooms. In H. J. Widodo, A. S. Wood, D. Gupta, & W. Cheng (Eds.), Asian English language classrooms: Where Theory and Practice Meet. New York: Routledge.
- Iida, A. (2017). Expressing voice in a foreign language: Multiwriting haiku pedagogy in the EFL context. TEFLIN Journal.
- Iida, A. (2017). Second language poetry writing in the Japanese EFL classroom. The Journal of Literature in Language Teaching, 6(2), 56-68.
- Iida, A. (2016). Poetic identity in second language writing: Exploring an EFL learner’s study abroad experience. Eurasian Journal of Applied Linguistics, 2, 1-14.
- Iida, A. (2019, February 16-17). Second Language Writers’ Perceptions and Attitudes toward composing haiku poetry in English. The 15th CamTESOL International Conference at the Institute of Technology of Cambodia, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- Iida, A. (2018, November 25-27). Characterizing English-Language Haiku: Corpus-Drive Analyses of Second Language Poetry Writing.Applied Linguistics Association of Australia (ALAA) 2018 Conference at the University of Wollongong, Australia.
- Iida, A. (2018, September 10). Second Language Poetry Writing Research: Past, Present, and Future. The 29th Annual JALT Gunma Summer Workshop at Ikaho Seminar House, Gunma, JAPAN. (Keynote Speaker).
- Iida, A. (2018, September 9). Teaching and Assessing English-Language Haiku Writing. The 29th Annual JALT Gunma Summer Workshop at Ikaho Seminar House, Gunma, JAPAN. (Keynote Speaker).
- Iida, A. (2018, August 2-4). Second Language Writers’ Construction of Emotional Voice in Poetry Writing. The 17th Symposium on Second Language Writing at Simon Fraser University, Vancouver, Canada.
- Iida, A. (2018, June 30). Teaching English-Language Haiku: Articulating Voice in the Target Language. Yokohama JALT & LiLT SIG at Yokohama Kyouiku Kaikan, JAPAN (Featured Speaker).
- Iida, A. (2018, March 23-25). Teaching English-language haiku writing: Bridging theory into practice. The 5th English Scholars Beyond Borders (ESBB) Conference/Symposium at the University of Toyama, Toyama, JAPAN. (Plenary Workshop)
- Iida, A. (2018, March 23). The value of poetry writing: Exploring the intersection of creative writing and second language academic literacy. The 5th English Scholars Beyond Borders (ESBB) Conference/Symposium at the University of Toyama, JAPAN. (Plenary Speaker)
- Iida, A. (2018, March 3). 俳句を用いてのアイデンティティ研究 –第二言語ライティング研究の視点から– [Poetic Identity in Second Language Writing]. The 31st Research Forum on Qualitative Research in Foreign Language Education at Aoyama Gakuin University, JAPAN.
- Iida, A. (2018, February 19). Exploring Second Language Writers’ Perceptions on Composing Haiku in English. The 9th Liberlit Conference at Seikei University, Tokyo, JAPAN.
- Iida, A. (2017, December 9). 自己表現力育成のための英語ライティング指導 −英語俳句を用いての実証研究— [Developing voice in second language haiku writing] Aoyama Gakuin Research Center for English Language Teaching (AGRCELT)/ JACET-Kanto Chapter Co-hosted Lecture at Aoyama Gakuin University, JAPAN. [Featured Presentation]
- Iida, A. (2017, October 7). Understanding Second Language Haiku Writing. The 21st Bunkyo University English Language Teaching Seminar at Bunkyo University. [Invited Presentation]
- Iida, A. (2017, November 27-29). Exploring textual and literary features of haiku poetry produced by second language writers. The 2017 ALANZ/ALAA/ALTAANZ Conference at Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, NZ.
- Iida, A. (2017, August 29-31). Exploring the patterns of voice construction in second language poetry writing. The 56th JACET International Conference at Aoyama Gakuin University, Tokyo, JAPAN.
- Iida, A. (2017, June 30-July 2). Assessing second language poetry writing: Issues and challenges of designing rubrics. The 16th Symposium on Second Language Writing at Chulalongkorn University, AZ, USA.
- Iida, A. (2017, February 20). Characterizing L2 haiku writing: Evidence from three groups of Japanese L2 learners. The 8th Liberlit Conference at Tokyo Women’s Christian University, Tokyo, JAPAN.
- Iida, A. (2016, November 25-28). Poetry reading and Japanese EFL learners. The 42nd JALT Annual International Conference at the Aichi Industry & Labor Center (WINC Aichi), Aichi, JAPAN.
- Iida, A. (2016, July 6-9). Characterizing second language poetry: A quantitative study of textual and literary features of English haiku written by Japanese engineering students. The 15th Biennial International Society for the Empirical Study of Literature (IGEL) Conference, Chicago, IL, USA.
- Iida, A. (2016, February 22). Redefining haiku: Exploring textual and linguistic features of second language haiku writing. The 7th Liberlit Conference at Tokyo Women’s Christian University, Tokyo, JAPAN.